Classhy (CLASS-she):
The fusion of classy and trashy; when highbrow ingredients meet lowbrow concepts, and vice versa.

6.15.2010

Last Saturday Belinda got hooked up with some Giants tickets and in turn, hooked me up for the evening game against the A's (she rules, BTW). As readers might recall, I had a couple alternate scenarios in mind for some of the elements of my Giant Ballpark Lunch from Memorial Day. I decided to put those concepts to use and packed up yet another bring-in spread for the evening. Since we had spent the day cooking, baking and eating this week's picnic (tune in Thursday!), I packed a little lighter for this AT&T Park meal.

First off, Instead of putting the turkey dogs into their buns before packing up, I just wrapped all four dogs into a piece of foil and then wrapped that with the heat source and into the soft cooler. The buns I just threw into a baggie and brought along in my bag. The outcome was great- we ate the dogs a good hour into the game and they were still warm!

The next element that I'd been mildly concerned about was my SkyBox Garlic Fries. While they'd been delicious on Memorial Day, there was no getting around the fact that there was a wilty element to them. This time around I decided to completely do away with the whole frozen fry approach and use a totally different ingredient. Have you ever had those tri-colored VeggieStix from Trader Joe's? They're made out of dehydrated potatoes, tomatoes and spinach. They're kind of amazing and they totally taste like french fries! Here's how they worked as a more travelable french fry alternative:

SkyBox Garlic Fries- Version 2.0!
Serves 4
1/3 bag VeggieStix or similar product
Spray butter
Garlic salt
Parsley, finely chopped
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
-Line a large cookie with tin foil
-Cover foil with a single layer of VeggieStix
-Spray Stix thoroughly with spray butter
-Coat liberally with garlic salt
-Sprinkle on parsley
-Bake 5 minutes


To Travel:
-Toss into a tupperware and throw into your pack!

To Serve:
-Create construction paper cones in your team's colors (orange and black!!!) by cutting paper pieces in half width wise and simply rolling. Secure with tape and flatten for easy travel!
-Dole servings into cones and dip into Truffled Ketchup- if you can stand to share it!


Sure enough, this was a fantastic alternate recipe! I definitely love the original SkyBox fries, but I think Version 2.0 will be the one I default to when traveling- paper cones and all!
ps... GIANTS WON!!

No comments:

Post a Comment