Classhy (CLASS-she):
The fusion of classy and trashy; when highbrow ingredients meet lowbrow concepts, and vice versa.

4.20.2010

Classhy Prince n' Pauper T.V. Dinners
MeatLove
Part 2- Cooking Challenge
 
Everyone has a meatloaf recipe in their family. One of the great things about this American staple is the fact that it can be made with any manner of meats, veggies, spices and even tofu. The single ingredient which is never missing from this classic dish, however, is love. From the uniqueness of each cook’s recipe to the way leftovers are carefully covered in anticipation of tomorrow’s meatloaf sandwich, it seemed only natural to name this challenge after my friend JD’s family’s nickname for the dish: MeatLove.
The spirit set forth by the title truly permeated every aspect of preparing this meal. Natalie and I never looked at a recipe and hit the grocery store armed only with memories of past loaves and a concept of delicious flavors. Without any of my own familiar spices, herbs or sauces at my disposal, Natalie and Justin graciously extended full use of their pantry, herb rack and fridge to me so that Nat and I managed to make it out of Safeway with just $10 worth of ingredients each.

Having taken the fake meat route with my last challenge and already being a veteran Bocaloaf maker, I decided to create this dish with real meat and chose lean turkey as well as white bratwurst (veal). As a kid I always loved bratwurst night and it was probably that meat alone which nurtured my obsession with mustard today. When Natalie informed me that she had a homemade Dijon from Santa Cruz Mountain Brewery, I knew we’d be in for a treat! Keeping with my theme, there was nary a measuring cup or spoon in sight while preparing the following recipe. All of the measurements included are approximations/ guidelines as I do very firmly believe in the addition, omission and substitution of elements based on taste and availability. MeatLove to me is one of those meals that you make with what you have, only purchasing what’s absolutely necessary. I love the way a dish will then evolve and vary from each incarnation!


1.25 lbs lean ground turkey
2 links white bratwurst
¼ cup chopped white onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 tbsp butter or Smart Balance
1 cup bread crumbs (we used Italian)
2 eggs lightly beaten
3 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
A couple shakes of canned parmesan
Tuscan salt, garlic powder, celery salt, pepper
1 packet turkey gravy mix for later

Glaze:
The glaze is very much a labor of love- basically combine your favorite condiments and sesonings (for a total of approx. 1/2 cup) with about 2 tbsp brown sugar. I used a splash of Worcestershire, a squeeze of BBQ, a bunch of yellow mustard and about a teaspoonful of beef stock.


-Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
-Remove casings from bratwurst and hand shred. Set aside.
-On stovetop, sauté onions and garlic in butter until golden.
-Add ground turkey and bratwurst to sauté pan. Lightly brown with garlic/ onion mixture but do not cook through (ab. 4 minutes)
-Move pan contents to mixing bowl and add breadcrumbs, mustard, Worcestershire, parmesan and seasonings.Mix thoroughly.
-Grease a loaf pan while meat cools
-Add eggs to meat, mix thoroughly and transfer to greased loaf pan.
-Top with additional seasonings and a dusting of parmesan
-Cook uncovered 20 minutes
-Add glaze (enough to generously cover the top, but don’t drown it!)
-Cook additional 25 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F
-Let stand 15 min before cutting


Instead of making mashed potatoes again, I opted for a cauliflower mash. As long as you have a food processor or blender, this recipe is a snap to make! Use Smart Balance Light instead of real butter and you’ve also got a healthy alternative to potatoes.
To prepare:
Chop up one large head of cauliflower and put in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 cup stock (I used beef stock this time) and cover with plastic wrap. Poke a fork through the plastic 3 or 4 times. Microwave 5 minutes, stir, microwave 5 more minutes. Transfer stock and cauliflower to blender, add ½ cup Smart Balance and blend. I used the “liquefy” setting for a smoother mash. Finally stir in ¼ cup of parmesan (fresh or canned) and serve- your mash will already be pretty flavorful, but a little extra salt and pepper to taste never hurt anyone!

My approach to the mixed veggie side was simple yet effective- just like I like it! And with the troops getting restless in the living room I knew it was just a matter of minutes before MeatLove was served. Heating 1 tbsp of Smart Balance in a non stick pan, I threw in my chopped green beans and carrots along with a handful of canned yellow corn. I also added some sliced mushrooms I intended to put on top of the meatloaf. I sprinkled a dash of garlic powder into the mix, then covered and kept a close eye on it ‘til all the veggies were cooked through.


Finally I filled my sectioned T.V. tray with all of the finished elements, topped the MeatLove with the mushrooms then added my simple packet gravy for that special classhy touch!





Nat, Brandon and saraH!
Everyone pretended to be very taken with the presentation, but really I knew they were ravenous and I immediately went about to serve my patient homies. There was just enough for everyone to have seconds and Brandon even had thirds, polishing off any lingering notion of a MeatLove sandwich for breakfast! I was very pleased with the results—the loaf was at once light and decadent in flavor while the mash was hands down the creamiest, yummiest version I’d made to date. The outpouring of support from my wonderful friends really made this challenge a success—heck, we even ate it in front of the T.V.!
Thanks, guys- I love ya!

3 comments:

  1. The stuff was amazing. i liked the veggies and mashed cauliflower the most.
    BranMuffin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The loaf was so yummy and had a really good contrasting taste with the cauliflower mash.Definatley the most unique and tender loaf Ive ever had. I can taste it right now just thinking of it.
    A+ saraH
    Shmatelsmee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love MeatLove... ps, apparently I invented that term when I was like 3. Mom's called it that ever since.

    ReplyDelete